ALERT – Current applications being received will not have a final selection notification till October 15, 2022, for scholarships starting Spring 2023.
The Health Professional Scholarship Program (HPSP) provides financial assistance to students receiving education or training in a direct or indirect health-care services discipline (Title 38 and Hybrid Title 38 occupations); and assists in providing an adequate supply of such personnel for the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). HPSP helps the Veterans Health Administration (VHA) meet its need for qualified health care professionals for which recruitment or retention is difficult.
Scholarships are determined and published for VHA workforce needs.
In FY2023 (October 2022 – September 2023) scholarships will be offered in the following areas:
- Nursing (CNA, LPN, LVN, ADN, BSN, and MSN)
- Physician Assistant (PA)** (See below)
- Physician Scholarship (MD/DO)
- Medical Technologist (MT)
- Diagnostic Radiologic Technologist (DRT)
- Social Worker (MSW)
- Psychologist (Doctoral Degree) *** (See below)
*** School Psychology degrees are not eligible for this scholarship.
- Eligible applicants must be enrolled in, or accepted for enrollment in, an academic program located in the United States that prepares graduates to meet the VA qualification standards for employment in the occupations listed above.
- Applicants must be citizens of the United States and pass a background investigation
- Full-time students:
- Tuition, authorized required fees, stipend, and annual education expense payment
- 4 years to complete education
- Part-time students (current VA employees only):
- Tuition, authorized required fees, stipend, and annual education expense payment (Award amounts are based on ratio of full-time attendance)
- 6 years to complete education
- Upon completing their educational program and licensure/certification, participants work as permanent, full-time VA employees in the occupations for which the scholarship was awarded.
- Participant service obligation: Full-time student – 2 to 4.5 years; Part-time student – 1 to 3 years
- Service obligation will vary depending on occupation and length of support.
- Physician – 18 month service obligation for each year of support.
- Participants sign a Mobility Agreement to relocate at their own expense if required to fulfill their service obligation
- The HPSP Scholarship Portal is open year-round. Applications will be evaluated, and selections made throughout the scholarship cycle. Click the “APPLY HERE” button at the top of the page to start the application process. If you have questions, contact us at HPSPTeam@va.gov