Visual Impairment and Orientation & Mobility Professionals Scholarship Program (VIOMPSP) provides financial assistance to students seeking a degree or certificate in visual impairment and/or orientation and mobility; and increases the supply of qualified blind rehabilitation specialists for the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). VIOMPSP helps the Veterans Health Administration (VHA) meet its need for qualified blind rehabilitation specialists for which recruitment or retention is difficult.
- Eligible applicants must be enrolled in, or accepted for enrollment in, an academic program located in the United States that prepares graduates to meet the VA qualification standards for employment.
- VIOMPSP currently offers scholarships in the following disciplines:
- Visual Rehabilitation Therapy
- Low Vision Therapy
- Orientation and Mobility
- Applicants must be citizens of the United States and pass a background investigation.
- Full-time students:
- Tuition and required fees/Maximum $15,000 per academic year/$45,000 total award
- Four (4) years to complete education
- Part-time students (current VA employees only):
- Tuition and required fees/award maximums are based on ratio of full-time attendance
- Six (6) years to complete education
- Upon completing their educational program and licensure/certification, participants work as permanent, full-time VA employees in blind rehabilitation practice
- Participants agree to a 3-year service obligation
- Participants sign a Mobility Agreement to relocate at their own expense if required to fulfill their service obligation.
- In June 2020, VIOMPSP’s new Scholarship Portal went live. Through this portal you can find out more information about VIOMPSP and apply to available scholarships. This Scholarship Portal is open year-round. Applications will be evaluated, and selections made throughout the scholarship cycle. To apply click “APPLY HERE” at the top of the page. If you have questions, contact us at VIOMPSPTeam@va.gov