- Applicants must be citizens of the United States and pass a background investigation.
- Graduated from a US accredited (LCME or COCA) medical school OR
- The Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG).
- Must be appointed in the occupation for which the recipient was trained (physician).
- Must be currently enrolled in or matched to a residency receiving training in an eligible specialty (identified on the About SELRP page).
- Have more than one year remaining in a residency/fellowship (identified on the About SELRP page).
- Agree to obtain a license to practice medicine, and complete training leading to board eligibility or certification within the specialty trained.
- Agree to a service obligation of at least 2 years.
- Must have eligible student debt equal to or more than the amount of the repayment.
- Preference will be given to veterans, and individuals who are, or will be, participating in residency programs in health facilities –
- located in rural areas;
- operated by Indian tribes, tribal organizations, or the Indian Health Service; or
- affiliated with underserved healthcare facilities of the Department.
- Owes any amount of principle or interest under a loan, the proceeds of which were used by or on behalf of that individual to pay costs relating to a course of education or training which led to a degree that qualified the individual to become a physician.
- The loans can also include costs relating to a course of education or training that include –
- Tuition expenses:
- All other reasonable education expenses, including expenses for fees, books, equipment, and laboratory expenses; and
- Reasonable living expenses.