SELRP Service Obligation
The Specialty Education Loan Repayment Program (SELRP)
- Participant must agree in writing before any payment to –
- obtain a license to practice medicine in a State;
- successfully complete post-graduate training leading to eligibility for board eligibility/certification in a specialty other than pediatrics.
- serve as a full-time clinical practice employee of the Veteran Health Administration (VHA) for 12 months for every $40,000 in such benefits that the employee receives, but in no case for fewer than 24 months; and
- begin such service no later than 60 days after completing a residency.
- Fellowship – If the participant receives an accredited fellowship in a medical specialty other that what is identified on the “About SELRP” page, he/she upon written request may delay the term of obligated service until after the completion of the fellowship, but in no case no later than 60 days after the completion of the fellowship.
- If the resident has not maxed out the program (4 Years and $160,000) the fellowship could extend the service obligation while receiving an additional $40,000.